When you’re online dating, the most important thing is to ask the right questions.
Not just any questions, but the ones that will help you figure out if this person is worth meeting in person.
After all, you don’t want to waste your time or theirs if it turns out that this person isn’t right for you.
That’s why we’ve put together a list of over 100 online dating questions to ask before meeting someone online.
We’ve broken them down into categories so that you can find the ones that are most relevant to you.
Whether you’re looking for questions to ask on a first date, or want to know more about someone’s hobbies and choices, we’ve got you covered.
So go ahead and get started! It’ll be worth it when you find the perfect person to share your life with.
10 Best Examples to Ask and Benefits
Asking the right questions can lead to better communication, improved decision-making, and deeper understanding. Here are 10 examples of best online dating questions to ask, along with the benefits of asking each:
1. What do you like to do for fun?
This question can help you understand your match’s hobbies and interests, making it easier to plan future dates or activities together.
2. What kind of music do you like?
With this question you can gauge other person musical taste and favorite musician.
3. What kind of books or movies do you enjoy?
Similar to the previous question, this one can help you understand your match’s preferences and potentially plan a date to a bookstore or a movie.
4. What are your hobbies and interests?
This question can give you a better understanding of what your match likes to do in their free time and what are their interests.
5. What do you do for work?
With such question you can know other person career. And can potentially lead to interesting conversation about work experiences or aspirations.
6. Where have you traveled to?
This question can spark conversation about your date travel experiences and can also give your ideas for future travel plans or destinations to discuss.
7. What do you like to cook?
So, this question can lead to conversation about food and cooking. You will be able to know his/her culinary skills and taste.
8. What is your favorite type of food?
This question can give you an idea of what types of food your match likes and can lead to discussion about favorite restaurants or recipes.
9. What are you reading right now?
It’s a perfect question to get an idea of other person reading habits and can lead to interesting conversation about books and literature.
10. What is your favorite place you have ever visited?
This question can spark conversation about travel and can give you an idea of your match’s favorite places.
Ice Breaker Online Dating Questions
These online dating icebreaker questions will help you to get to know the person better, and can also be used as an icebreaker to start a new relationship.
1. Are you an early bird or a night owl?
2. If you had four adjectives to describe yourself, what would they be?
3. If you had to give a TED Talk right now, what would it be on?
4. What is the weirdest food combination you enjoy?
5. What is something that should be criminalized although it isn’t?
6. In your idea of heaven, what is the background music?
7. Would you rather take a trip to outer space, or in the deep seas?
8. Which of the 9 planets is your favorite?
9. When and why was the last time you got really angry?
10. What’s the wildest story of you and your best friend?
11. Gryffindor or Ravenclaw?
12. What’s an unpopular opinion you secretly agree with?
13. Vanilla or chocolate?
14. What is the most nonsensical item you own?
15. What’s a product you buy more than others do?
16. If you had a kingdom of your own, what would it be called?
17. If you had to date a fictional character, who would it be?
18. Which dish do you cook best?
19. What was your worst thought ever?
20. What do you like to do the most where you are?
21. What do you like to do the most after a challenging day?
22. What is time-consuming but wholly worthwhile?
23. What would you choose if you had access to an endless supply of it for the rest of your life?
24. Which musical style or genre is your favorite?
25. What kind of life do you envision?
Funny Online Dating Questions
Adding a touch of humor to your online dating messages can be a great way to break the ice. These dating app conversation starters will add a playful element to your interactions.
1. Why did you pick your screen nick?
2. If you could pick only one what would you be: attractive, rich or famous?
3. What was your most embarrassing/proudest/scariest moment?
4. If you had a time machine and you could go back and change anything, what would it be?
5. Why can’t you get a tan on your palms?
6. What is your favorite part of your body and why?
7. If there were 3 things that you could change about yourself, what would they be?
8. Do you squeeze the toothpaste from the middle or the end?
9. If you were an alien and you could abduct anyone on earth, who would you abduct and why?
10. What do you like best about being single?
11. What is the last movie that made you cry?
12. Can you still say ‘Stick it where the sun don’t shine’, on a nude beach?
13. If you were crowned king of the whole world, what would your first royal decree be?
14. What do you like to eat to cheer yourself up?
15. If you were a fish, what kind of fish would you be?
16. Ever been arrested?
17. What kind of puppies do you hate the most?
Deep Online Dating Questions
If you’re looking to get to know someone on a deeper level, why not try some of these deep questions for online dating?
1. Are you now attempting to change something about yourself?
2. Is there a hero in your life? What is it about them that you admire, and why?
3. What karaoke song do you always choose?
4. In primary school, did you fit in or stand out?
5. Who is your favorite celebrity?
6. Do you visit any websites regularly? Which one, if any?
7. Do you participate in any sports?
8. Do you support or oppose holidays? What do you think of Halloween?
9. Do you prefer privacy or double dates?
10. Do you consider yourself a foodie, or are hot pockets and ramen noodles just good for you?
11. Do you remember when you first started drinking?
12. What is a beloved movie moment that you remember well?
13. Do you consume alcohol? If so, do you like hard liquor, wine, or beer?
14. Do you like your alone time?
15. Do you work out? If so, how much?
16. Can you prepare meals?
17. What drink do you usually order?
18. Which animal would you pick if you had to switch your legs for it?
19. What do you typically wear on a daily basis?
20. What movie never gets old in your opinion?
21. What is the love language?
22. What is the nicest thing that is currently happening in your life?
23. What is your preferred love song?
24. What profession has always been your dream job? Why didn’t you go after it?
25. What was the most humiliating thing that ever happened to you as a teenager?
26. What is the most terrifying thing you have ever gone through?
27. What is your finest creation?
Online Dating Questions to Ask a Guy
Here, we’ve put together some great online dating questions to ask him when you’re just starting out in the world of online dating. These are sure to spark some interesting discussions.
1. Would it be okay if I brought my parents along on our upcoming date?
2. What separates romance from love?
3. What was the stupidest question you ever got?
4. What, in your opinion, makes a person or female appear attractive?
5. How do you deal with having a poor hair day?
6. How good at flirting are you?
7. What is the most common pick-up line you use?
8. Do frightening movies make you nervous?
9. Do you want me to make romantic advances on our upcoming date?
10. Do you believe who is more romantic—men or women?
11. What is the awful texting chat line you use?
12. What wild dating fantasy do you have?
13. What benefit of being single is the best?
14. How many relationships have you had up to this point?
15. What criminal activity would you like to engage in?
16. What would you do if Kim Kardashian and you were trapped in a lift?
17. When did you first fall in love?
18. Do you think there is life after death? Have you ever had a paranormal experience?
Online Dating Questions to Ask a Girl
When it comes to online dating questions to ask her, you want to come up with something interesting and creative. Here are some of the best questions to ask.
1. Do you enjoy coffee and tea?
2. Have you ever been a collector of anything?
3. What drink do you typically have on a night out?
4. Describe your greatest trip and explain why.
5. Did you have a celebrity crush when you were younger? Do you still have feelings for them?
6. What aspects of your personality do you believe need work?
7. Do you possess any buried talents?
8. What have you ever done that was the most daring?
9. What are your pet peeves in relationships?
10. What is the most amazing skill?
11. What is the one thing about your physique that, if you could, you would change the most?
12. What is the most impulsive action you have ever taken?
13. What is the finest life advice you have ever heard?
14. What was your worst job to date? Why was it so terrible? How long did you spend there?
15. What words of wisdom would you impart to your kids?
16. What do you consider to be your personality’s strongest traits?
17. What was your best job to date? What made it so great? Do you aspire to return to it?
Online Dating Questions about Hobbies and Interests
Here are some great questions to ask on dating app that will help you to find out all about their favorite books, movies, music, activities, and more!
1. How do you spend your time when you’re not working/going to school?
2. What’s your favorite part of your hobby?
3. How did that become your hobby?
4. What other hobbies have you had in the past?
5. Do you see yourself continuing this hobby in the long run?
Things to Avoid While Asking Questions
As you prepare to take part in online dating conversations, there are a few things you should avoid.
- Avoid asking personal or sensitive questions too early on in the conversation. This can make your match feel uncomfortable or defensive.
- Don’t ask questions that can be answered with a simple “yes” or “no.” These types of questions don’t provide much opportunity for conversation and can make the interaction feel one-sided.
- Avoid asking questions that are too generic or clichéd. These types of questions can make the conversation feel unoriginal and can also make it difficult to learn anything new about your match.
- Also, avoid asking questions that are too complex or difficult to answer. These types of questions can make the conversation feel overwhelming or intimidating.
- Avoid asking questions that are too open-ended, as it can make the conversation difficult to follow up on. It’s better to ask specific, targeted questions.
We hope this article has given you some fantastic online dating conversation starters that will help you get the most out of your conversations. And make a real connection with someone special.
Remember, the best conversations happen when you’re curious about the other person.
Ask interesting questions, stay open-minded in your responses, and don’t be afraid to get a bit personal.
Good luck out there!
We would love to hear what questions or topics you used in your conversations–feel free to drop us a comment below!