155 Self Reflection Questions to Get to Know Yourself Better
Do you want to get to know yourself better? It can be hard to look deep within and ask ourselves the tough questions.
To help you along your journey, we have compiled a list of 150+ self reflection questions. This list covers topics such as relationships, personal development, and career goals.
We all have moments when we reflect and take a step back to evaluate ourselves and where we are in life.
Asking yourself these questions can help you gain insight into who you are and where you want to go in the future.
So, take a few moments to explore this list of self reflection questions and learn more about yourself.
What Are Self Reflection Questions?
Self-reflection questions are prompts that encourage individuals to think deeply and critically about their thoughts, feelings, behaviors, and motivations.
They aim to promote self-awareness and personal growth. Self-reflection questions can cover various aspects of a person’s life, such as relationships, values, goals, and challenges.
They can be used for journaling, therapy, or personal development exercises. Example of a self-reflection question: “what are my top 5 values, and how have I acted in alignment with them in the past week?”
Self Reflection Questions to Know Yourself Better
Knowing yourself better is the key to identifying areas where you need to make improvements or changes, as well as recognizing things in your life that you appreciate and should celebrate. Here are some daily self reflection questions to ask yourself:
1. Am I holding on to something I need to let go of?
2. If not now, then when?
3. What matters most in my life?
4. What am I doing about the things that matter most in my life?
5. Why do I matter?
6. Have I done anything lately that’s worth remembering?
7. Have I made someone smile today?
8. What have I given up on?
9. When did I last push the boundaries of my comfort zone?
10. If I had to instill one piece of advice in a newborn baby, what advice would I give?
11. What small act of kindness was I once shown that I will never forget?
12. How will I live, knowing I will die?
13. What do I need to change about myself?
14. Is it more important to love or be loved?
15. How many of my friends would I trust with my life?
16. Who has had the greatest impact on my life?
17. Am I using my time wisely?
18. Am I taking anything for granted?
19. Am I employing a healthy perspective?
20. Am I living true to myself?
Self Reflection Questions for Personal Growth
Taking the time to answer self-reflection questions can help you gain insight into your life, values, feelings, and motivations. Here are some self-reflection questions for growth that can help you take a closer look at yourself:
1. What are some of my deepest desires?
2. What would my perfect day look like?
3. What desires keep tugging at my heart?
4. Why did I choose the job that I have?
5. If I had to change career paths, what would I choose?
6. Where do I see myself career-wise in 5 years?
7. Where do I see myself in 10?
8. How would I describe my current job to a martian?
9. What could I do all day and not feel like I was wasting time?
10. If money was no object, what would I be doing with my life?
11. If I could receive an unlimited grant to complete any project, what would I do?
12. If I could start my career over, what would I change?
13. If I didn’t have to work, what would I do?
14. When does my work feel necessary and satisfying? Is that in the office, the home, etc.?
15. If I had the microphone at the Super Bowl, what would I say?
16. If I had to pick a theme song for a show about my life, what would it be?
17. What are my most important belongings?
18. What are some of my fondest memories?
19. What would I want my epitaph to be?
20. What are you most grateful for?
21. What do you take for granted?
22. How can you show more gratitude?
23. What did you say yes to this week/month/year that you probably should have said no to?
24. If you could only use five words, how would you describe yourself?
25. What are your strengths? Your weaknesses?
26. What is the most common negative thought you have about yourself? What would the positive version of it be?
Self Reflection Questions for Mental Health
Self reflection is an important part of maintaining mental health and overall well-being. This is a list of self reflection questionnaire to start with on your journey toward a great outcome:
1. What do I get the most compliments on?
2. What do I want to change about myself? Why?
3. What makes me feel the most self conscious?
4. When I am in physical or emotional pain, what do I do for myself?
5. If my body could talk to me, what would it say?
6. When do I feel the most comfortable in my own skin?
7. If I had to wear one outfit for the rest of my life, what would it be?
8. What’s the best compliment I’ve ever received?
9. How would I describe myself in three words?
10. What movie characters do I relate most to?
11. What book characters do I relate most to?
12. If I became president, what would be my first order of business?
13. What makes me laugh hardest?
14. In elevator pitch format (sixty seconds), how would I describe myself?
15. A genie gives me three wishes—what would I wish for?
16. If I could have dinner with someone famous, living or dead, who would I choose?
17. If I had a grant to write a book, what would I write about?
18. If I could open a store, what would I sell?
19. What does unconditional love look like for me?
20. What things would I do if I loved myself unconditionally?
21. I really wish others knew this about me . . .
22. Name what is enough for me.
23. If my body could talk, it would say . . .
Self Reflection Questions for Relationships
When it comes to maintaining healthy relationships, one of the best things you can do is to take self-reflection time. To get started, here are some good self reflection questions to consider when evaluating your relationships:
1. How do I want to make others feel?
2. What do people come to me for help with?
3. What would I want my grandchildren to say about me?
4. What qualities are most important to me in a friend?
5. What do I enjoy doing for others?
6. What was the kindest thing someone has done for me?
7. Who do I trust the most in my life?
8. Why does the world need what I have to bring?
9. What is something I wish others knew about me?
10. When was the last time I helped out a friend or family member?
11. Who has disappointed I the most? How did they disappoint I?
12. Which relationships am I happy with?
13. Which relationships am I neglecting?
14. Who do I most enjoy spending time with? Why is that?
15. Who do I want to spend more time with? How will I make it happen?
16. To what extent do I let others control my decisions?
17. Which relationships matter to I the most?
18. What do I love to do with my immediate family?
19. What do I love most about my spouse? My children?
20. Why did I marry my spouse?
21. When I get together with my extended family, what do I do?
22. Who has had the biggest impact on my life to date?
23. What confrontations, if any, am I avoiding?
24. Are there any toxic relationships in my life that I need to remove?
25. Which past friendships do I miss the most? Why?
26. Whose opinions do I value the most? Why is that?
27. What qualities do I most admire in others that I wish I had myself?
28. Who looks up to I the most? Why do I think that is?
29. How can I nurture my relationships this week/month/year?
Self Reflection Questions for the Past
If you’re looking for a way to spark introspection and reflection on your own unique experiences, these deep self reflection questions will provide helpful prompts about your past.
1. Have I accomplished at least one of the resolutions I made last year?
2. Was I finishing the year with any unfinished projects or work? If yes, why?
3. Would I change anything about my past if I could? Why or why not?
4. Last year, did I take the time to plan how I would achieve my goals?
5. How could I have better helped my loved ones accomplish their goals?
6. Did I give myself the time and resources needed to accomplish my goals?
7. How have my priorities changed in the past year, and why?
8. What is something in past that I have overcome?
9. What would I do differently if I were to live the same year again?
10. What habits did I learn that I want to keep doing?
11. Write a letter to my past self… what would I want to say?
12. What goals have I accomplished already?
13. When did I most down/lost? Why? How did I overcome it?
14. Do I still maintain many relationships from my past? Are they healthy? What value do they bring?
15. What do I know now that I didn’t a year ago?
Self Reflection Questions for the Present
By asking ourselves the right questions, we can uncover patterns of behavior that might otherwise remain hidden from view. Here are some personal reflection questions for the present to help you gain clarity on who you are today:
1. Am I happy? Why? Why not?
2. What challenges am I currently facing?
3. Do I have a solid, consistent routine? Do I like it?
4. What areas of my life feel like they need some improvement? Work? Home? Health? Etc.
5. What’s my first thought when I wake up?
6. Where do I spend most of my time? What are I doing? Do I enjoy it?
7. Where do I feel out of control in my life? Do I seek control there? If so, how do I think I could gain control?
8. What changes do I want to make in my life right now? Where do I need to work?
9. What keeps me up at night?
10. Who are the three closest people to right me now? Describe those relationships.
11. What is my present hobby?
12. When do I feel most alive? Do I make time for that time/thing/place often?
13. What is something recent that I are proud of? Why?
14. What is something recent that I are ashamed of? Why?
15. Do I feel content with life?
16. What are my biggest limitations?
17. What are my values?
18. How do I define success?
19. How would I spend my time if money were not a factor?
20. What are my greatest personal and professional strengths?
21. What are some areas in which I can improve?
Self Reflection Questions for the Future
Asking the right questions can help guide self-reflection and provide insight into our future goals. These are some of the best self reflection questions to ask yourself when contemplating your future:
1. What kind of financial habits do I want or need to develop?
2. What’s the one thing about myself I would like to work to improve?
3. What am I never willing to do again?
4. What’s something I tell myself I’ll do when I “have the time”?
5. What’s something I’ve always wanted to try but haven’t yet? Why not?
6. What or who do I really need to let go of that I haven’t yet?
7. What are my mental and physical health priorities in the next year? Five years? Ten years?”
8. If I could retire early, how would I spend my time?
9. What are my personal growth opportunities for the next year?
10. What impact do I want to leave behind with my loved ones?
11. What will I see myrself doing work-wise in five years’ time?
12. How would I describe the person I want to be in the future?
13. What do I want a typical day to look like in my future?
14. What are some personal changes I want to see in the future?
15. What are some professional changes I want to see in the future?
16. What is my primary concern about the future?
17. Where do I see myself in five years?
18. What steps do I take to plan for the future of my career?
19. How can I learn from challenges to create a positive future for myself?
20. Am I taking steps now to prepare financially for my future?
21. Do I anticipate major life events shortly that might change my routine and, if so, how will I minimize the challenges?
Asking yourself questions is a great way to get to know and understand yourself better. Taking time to reflect regularly can help you gain clarity, peace of mind and even increase your self-esteem.
By utilizing our provided 150+ reflective questions to ask yourself, you can begin to learn more about who you are, what motivates you, and how you want to live your life.
Asking yourself these self introspection questions can be an invaluable tool for self-discovery and personal growth.
Anyway, consider inspiring us by leaving a comment in the below box.
We will highly appreciate it if you share this great article with others.